LBA BUILDING

We have moved to 40 Peck Slip

Dear LBA Members:

The building located at 40 Peck slip is now owned by the Lieutenants Benevolent Association, in partnership with the Captains Endowment Association and the Superior Officers Council. The property is located in the historically districted area of the South Street Seaport. As of September 2016, we are now operational at our new building.

The building, as it currently exists, is a four story structure initially erected in 1813. With the approval of the Landmarks Commission, the final building will retain the historically accurate façade on the first four floors with an addition of a slightly recessed contemporarily designed fifth floor.

The purchase of this building is an investment that will benefit the Association, and more importantly our members. The building is essentially owned by our membership and we look forward to having you stop by, visit, and see your Association’s new office space.

Fraternally,

LBA Office Then and Now

A Historical Perspective

  • 1800-1870

    1812 The unimproved lot is assessed at $1,000. This was the first year the lot was recorded.

    1813 On June 8, Mayor, Aldermen, and Commonality of the City of NY sells nos. 36, 38, and 40 to William and John Lott – dry goods merchants who had stores at 35 Peck Slip and 240 Water Street; it is believed that these two buildings served as warehouses. NYC Directory lists Benjamin Mott as a flour merchant doing business in no. 40 for the years 1813-1816
    Improved lot is assessed at $3,200.

    1815 Property is assessed at $4,500 (Benjamin Lott, owner).

    1816 The Lott brothers begin leasing their buildings.
    Property is referred to as a loft and assessed at $6,000 – Benjamin Lott, owner.

    1817 Peck Slip is filled in and paved. Property is assessed at $6,000 – Benjamin Lott, owner.

    1833 Joseph J. O’Donohue (1833-1897) born in the building; one of the leading coffee and tea merchants in the city. JJO’D’s father, John O’Donohue was a retail grocer who operated his shop in the storefront of the building at the time JJO’D was born.

    1840 J.C. & S. Haviland Flour & Meal doing business in the building.

    1851 C.A. Kentish advertises his compounding fertilizer to sell to the MA legislature for $10,000 out of the building.

    1852 Ad for the purchase and sale of ground charcoal, oyster shell lime, and other materials at the building. John Slavin, worker at Sandford, Baker & Co. falls from the 3rd floor through a hatchway to the ground floor of the building, leaving him in critical condition. William Perris map identifies the building as a 3rd-class building constructed of brick (see map legend for relevant uses for 3rd-class buildings).

    1855 Ad for property rentals by real estate broker, Gilbert Hopkins with an office in the building. Gilbert Hopkins was a partner with Judson Hawley of a grocery store named Hopkins & Hawley, which was located at 233 Front St. 1820-c.1840, at which time they relocated the store to a 5-story warehouse at 229-231 Front St. Hopkins & Hawley leased no. 36 starting in 1827.

    1869 Ad for Ed. Wilson and Harris Holcomb, Dealers in Wines and Segars [sic].

  • 1871-1970

    1871 Ad for Long Island House for ales, wines and liquor
    Capt. Joseph M. Freeman, proprietor
    Ads appear 1870-.

    1872 Building is raised to 4 stories without the addition of floors. Alteration to have two upper floors partitioned for one family per floor; owner to occupy 2nd floor. Building described as 3 stories and attic (44 feet high); front described as brick; tobacco store on 1st floor; proposal for store on 1st floor with dwellings on upper floors – Wm. H. Jobelmann, owner/Geo. W. Lithgow, builder.

    1873 Ad to sell a “liquor and lager saloon” in the building.

    1877 Additions/alterations – material of front listed as “brick with iron columns in front of stone.” Building contains “restaurant, store or saloon on 1st floor, remainder lofts for different purposes as store rooms.” Proposal for fire escape with stairs and iron shutters. Proposed residential uses for upper floors – Herbert B. Turner, Esq., owner/Aneurin Jones, arch.

    1880 Tobacco Dealers’ Protective Association is formed at Cooper Union with tobacco dealer, William H. Jobelmann, elected as VP (noted as building owner operating a tobacco shop in the storefront of the building in 1872).

    1885 The saloon keeper at the building received an order to use block tin faucets and properly lined pipes.

    1897 James Callahan, resident, dies. JC was the oldest lamplighter in the city, responsible for lighting and extinguishing the downtown gas lamps for the New York Gas Commercial vernacular.

    1906 Plumbing/draining improvements; introduce windows into partitions; fish market, 1st floor; tenement (upper floors/existing/proposed); rubble foundation walls; and brick upper walls.

    1922 Mary M. Deitsch sells “four-story building with a store” to Louis Kallman.

    1932 Rex Fish Co. is housed in the building.

    1970 NYC Public Development Corporation acquires properties on Front St.

  • 1971-2011

    1981 Vasilos Salouros, a restaurant in the building, receives a health violation.

    1985 Building houses a social club.

    1992 Initial plans filed for restaurant & upper-floor offices renovation – Slawomir Popiel, architect/owner(?).

    1995 Ground-floor restaurant & upper-floor offices renovation – Nikolas A. Maroudas, architect.

    1997 Certificate of Occupancy to house a restaurant on the ground floor and offices on the upper floors. From 1997-2001 Market Bar & Grill housed in the building.

    2009 Buon Amici restaurant housed in the building.

    2010 Shooting Star Theatre housed in the building.

    2011 Building for sale for $3.5M; ad notes that it currently houses an Italian restaurant with month-to-month tenants on the upper floors.